Don Juan Gomez-Acebo y de Borbon and Winston Carney welcome a child

His Excellency Don Juan Gomez-Acebo y de Borbon, Viscount de la Torre and his girlfriend Winston Carney welcomed a boy on April 4. The couple had announced they were expecting a child back in January.

Winston Carney and Don Juan

Winston Carney and Don Juan

The baby was born in the United States – where the couple primarily reside – and named Nicholas. The name has no strong family connections, although it is one of Viscount de la Torres’s middle names (his full name is Juan Filiberto Nicolas). Both mother and child are said to be doing well.

Don Juan is the eldest son of Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz and Don Luis Gomez-Acebo y Duque de Estrada. Infanta Pilar is the older sister of King Juan Carlos of Spain: baby Nicholas is her 9th grandchild. Winston Carney is an American heiress who works as an interior designer.

Many congratulations to the happy couple and their families.

Advertisements

Inaki Urdangarin Scandal: Infanta Cristina officially named a suspect

Infanta Cristina – the younger daughter of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain – has officially been named a suspect in the corruption case of her husband, Inaki Urdangarin. She now has to testify at the courthouse in Palma de Mallorca on April 27.

Infanta Cristina, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca

Infanta Cristina, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca

Judge Jose Castro, who presides over the case, was quoted saying the Infanta was imputed as co-owner of Aizoon – a company that directly benefited from Inaki’s fraudulent actions. Interestingly, naming Cristina a suspect was the judge’s decision, and not a petition from the prosecution.

(more…)

Inaki Urdangarin Scandal: New evidence suggests Infanta Cristina might have known of illegal activities

The lawyers of Diego Torres, Inaki Urdangarin’s former partner and co-defendant in fraud case, have provided thirty new messages as evidence, some of which seem to suggest that Infanta Cristina was at the very least briefed on her husband’s activities.

One of the messages from Don Inaki to his wife alludes to “two versions” of reports and asks for her opinion. The Duke of Palma asks for Infanta Cristina’s opinion on various business-related issues in some of the other messages as well.

The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca

The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca

Cristina was a board member of Noos and part-owner of Aizoon both of which are involved in the corruption case. Although the judge presiding over the case has so far found no evidence of her involvement in anything illegal, it is highly unlikely she was completely unaware of her husband’s activities.

Other messages show the communication between the Duke of Palma and Carlos Garcia Revenga – the private secretary and confidant of the Infantas Elena and Cristina who was the treasurer of the Noos Foundation.

(more…)

King Juan Carlos of Spain Underwent a Surgery

King Juan Carlos

King Juan Carlos

King Juan Carlos of Spain successfully underwent surgery for herniated discs in his lower spine at a Madrid hospital on Sunday.

The operation lasted for about three hours and “proved entirely satisfactory”, according to the Royal Household. The procedure was performed by neurosurgeon Manuel de la Torre, who told the reporters it would take between two and six months for the King to fully recover.

His Majesty will likely require remaining in the La Milagrosa Clinic in Madrid for about a week, to recuperative from the procedure.

(more…)

Week in Review – 24 February-03 March: Royal Health Worries

It’s was a rather unfortunate week health-wise from royals across the world.

Queen Elizabeth II was forced to cancel a visit to Swansea on Saturday to celebrate St David’s Day, after developing symptoms of gastroenteritis. She will now spend the weekend at Windsor and will be “assessed in the coming days”. It is very unusual of Her Majesty to cancel engagements for health reasons.

Elizabeth II and King Juan Carlos

Elizabeth II and King Juan Carlos

King Juan Carlos of Spain had to be treated on Wednesday because of a dislocated left hip. The procedure was non-invasive and lasted for less than an hour. The King had undergone a surgery on his left hip in November of 2012, after suffering from osteoarthritis in his left hip. At the beginning of the week, His Majesty felt numb pain and after x-rays the doctors found he had a “slight dislocation” of the left hip.

(more…)

Inaki Urdangarin Corruption Case: Will the Borbons survive?

General Details about the corruption scandal

As the Duke of Palma de Mallorca took part in the National Day on 12 October 2011, dashing and charming as always, few could have guessed that was his very last appearance in an official capacity as a member of the Spanish Royal Family, and that soon Inaki’s name will be on everyone’s lips for all the wrong reasons.

Less than a month later, on 7 November 2011, the Anti-Corruption Prosecutor recorded Noos headquarters in Barcelona in connection with the ongoing “Palma Arena” corruption case. Specifically, they were looking into the dealings of The Noos Institute for the period of 2004-2006 – the time Urdangarin was its Executive President.

Inaki Urdangarin arriving for a court hearing

Inaki Urdangarin arriving for a court hearing

The news shocked Spain, especially as the true extent of the embezzlement and Inaki’s involvement were gradually made known; Spain was experiencing one of the worst financial crises in history and the revelation the King’s son-in-law has effectively stolen millions of public money enraged the public. At the early stages of the investigation, the Duke denied any wrongdoing and loudly maintained his innocence and resolution to defend his “honour”. Soon, however, new details emerged that forced even his most ardent supporters to doubt his word.

Newspapers released several suspicious budget documents for the period the Noos Institute was managed by Urdangarin. They appeared to show that Urdangarin convinced Spanish public administrations to sign agreements with the company (which was supposed to be a non-profit organisation anyway) for works that were never done. Works that were done were dramatically over-budgeted. Among other, the Noos Institute was given an enormous €2.3 million by the Balearic Islands’ regional government to organise two conferences on tourism and.  Once the contracts were obtained, Noos subcontracted the work to companies owned by Urdangarin and Torres.

(more…)

9th granchild for Infanta Pilar: Don Juan and Winston Carney expecting a child

While the Spanish Royal Family is still trying to assess the damage done by the Inaki Urdangarin (and the injury that can still be caused by more harmful revelations), there are some good news as well.

His Excellency Don Juan Gomez-Acebo y de Borbon, Viscount de la Torre – the eldest son of Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz – has announced he is expected his first child with his long-time partner, Winston Carney.

Winston Carney and Don Juan

Winston Carney and Don Juan

Although Don Juan, 43, and Miss Carney, 39, are not married, they have been dated for a number of years now. The child will be born at the end of April in California where Carney resides. The child will be the 9th grandchild for Infanta Pilar. The Infanta is the older sister of King Juan Carlos and Infanta Margarita of Spain.

(more…)